Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

BID NOT FAREWELL



      TODAY, after the farewell ceremony to our senior batch of MA literature students was tearfully over, my friend in a melancholic temperament observed;"father, we will be in the same boat by this time next year". He was in his poetic exuberance when he remarked that every meeting is pregnant with the agony of parting. Someone was repeatedly quoting the Lebanon poet-mystic Khalil Gibran that it is in the agony of parting that we really realize the depth of love. But I was carried away by the lines scribbled in my friendship diary by one whom i keep close to my heart for more than a decade,

"സൗഹൃദത്തിനു ഒരു കുമിളയുടെ ആയുസ്സേ ഉള്ളെങ്കിലും അതില്‍ വിരിയുന്ന

സപ്തവര്‍ണങ്ങളുടെ ചാരുതയാണ് അതിന്‍റെ കരുത്തും സുകൃതവും..."

Now i know the worth of every relationship i have. From the Book of Tobit angel Raphael reminds that your soul mates are specially designed to fit your dreams from time immemorial. Jesus before his departure from this planet earth prayed for his friends saying that the twelve disciples who shared his mission are the people "whom the father gave" him. Thus there is always a heavenly value attached to your relations.

 But i don't subscribe to the view that the absence of physical proximity would tear away your bonds. I am skeptical to this notion simply because adhering to such a view would completely question the depth of your relations. You can be thousand miles away and still be in love as love crosses all barriers. Physical absence only means one is only taking a leave or one goes for a journey. I cant imagine a mother forgetting her beloved son just because he is not at home. Friend, yes, we part, but with the hope of meeting again soon. Compel me not to bid farewell,because wherever we go we bring ourselves too.

  Its drizzling in the valley of friendship, welcome my bosom friend...
we shall walk into this heavenly shower so that no one one will see our tears.....

9 comments:

  1. Acha how true what u said about proximity and friendship...where there is true love absence makes the heart to grow fonder...but then we are human beings with sensitive feelings and parting becomes sorrowful even if it is for a short time. But then as time passes nostalgic memories of beautiful days gone by will make your life brighter enabling us to reminisce 'how green was my valley' and the days spent together in quite communion. As u have said in incredibly beautiful words, as friends walk through the valley of friendship in the drizzling shower of love let us smile through our tears creating rainbows of promises for the days to come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPERB..........

    It's amazing that still you have the same old diary....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes achacha , you are true indeed
    I accept it

    "As we approach this Winter,

    That never leads to Spring"

    Knowing for sure that this Real Dreamland will fade away as I hear the rumble of time ....
    But time fails to cast its shadow on the potraits that were filled with the colours of our heart ........

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true father.When I speak to my friends actually I'm free from all inhibitions and really my soul speaks with them.Such relations cannot be crushed by the passage of time.Just one year in our college taught me what friendship is...Parting with such an atmosphere is painful.But an unnecessary question confuses me..Will I be the same person after ten or fifteen years?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear acha...actually the things that u have told is haunting me 4 a few days bcoz i am now missing my seniors in my hostel a lot...when they vacated the hostel yesterday,i jes imagined the same day dat me too have 2 face...eventhough we know dat every course will finish in 2 or 3 years and we have 2 say goodbye 2 our friends,we never stop making friends...its really a powerful feeling of love and care that cannot be explained by words...Truly speaking,in my life my friends influenced me more dan my parents...Also am happy 2 say that my friends in ivanios college taught me the real meaning of friendship... but i cant say till when these friendships last..bcoz i cant predict my attitude or my situation after few years..so i cant blame my friends if dey leave me after some years coz dey too may hav the same situation. ....but am sure that even if i miss my friends physically,dey will always stay in my mind...Anyways eventhough parting our friends is really painful,friendship is really a beautiful experience that we cant forget...so always keep friendships........

    ReplyDelete